Friday, July 2

Its been a while, but heres something I made earlier....

Hi.

Remember me?

Too much has been going on, so i'll just jump right back into blogging.

Starting with a little make.


Today, I needed to make some shortbread and chocolate chip cookies for my Niece's birthday party this Sunday. Unfortunately the main ingredient for the cookies was missing - chocolate chips! Now for some reason, I was under the impression these would be easy to find and reasonably priced at my local supermarket.

Nope. £1.49 for 100g. Or am I behind on the times when it comes to pricing?



Anyway, I put the price down to the packaging because although it wasn't fancy, the chocolate chips were in quite a sturdy little container. Not just loose in a bag which is what I normally plump for.



But having baked the cookies and tidyed up, I thought the little tube would make a nice container instead of just chucking it in the recycling. Being the crafty, hording type, I LOVE any form of storage. So I decided to pretty it up, and this is what I did:

What you need:
  • Container to cover
  • Fabric or paper you wish to cover your container with
  • PVA Glue
  • Brush
  • Scissors
  • Fabric Pen or Pencil
  • Ruler
  • String or Tape Measure



1. First of all, you need to find out the circumference of your container. This is where the string (or yarn in my case. Being a knitter there's loads of this lying around) comes in handy. Of course, if you have a tape measure, you could just use that. Wrap it loosely around your container and have it overlap by say half an inch and cut.



2. Measure your bit of string and take note of the measurement.



3. Next, measure the height of your container.



4. Using these measurements, mark out on your fabric or paper the circumference measurement and height measurement to make a rectangle. I used a fading fabric pen here.



5. Cut this out as neatly and precisely as you can. Probably easier to do with paper as fabric has a mind of its own. Or it does when I cut it.



6. Apply PVA Glue to your tube, taking note to apply liberally around the top and bottom edges and where your overlap will be.



7. Apply your fabric or paper to your container, adjusting it so it covers all of the tube.



And there you have it. A nice little tube to pop in anything you like. You could even decorate the lid by drawing around the base and cutting out some pretty paper or fabric to fit into the top.



Pretty simple, but simply pretty. And useful too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well _here you actually can buy chocolate chips in almost every supermarket :P although I never saw them packed in such a nice container.

Anonymous said...

Nice to read your blog again :)

We use ordinary chocolate cut to pieces over here :) But you know... if I saw that fancy container I would have bought it too :D

Greetings from Greece! Sunny and windy ones :)
nini

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com